Co-60 contamination incident

To allay Ted's concerns, in the article "60Co Contamination in Recycled

Steel Resulting in Elevated Civilian Radiation Doses: Causes and

Challenges," Health Physics, 73(3): 465-472, 1997, the authors W. P. Chang,

et.al., say that an epidemiological study to evaluate health effects was

begun by the Minister of Health in Taiwan on December 1993.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane

Bowie, MD  20715-2024

E-mail:  jenday1@email.msn.com (H)

Ted said on 7/8. . .

I personally handed the Taiwanese "ambassador" an RSH letter at a dinner at

his residence, asking for this information.  I also asked for assistance

from the man who was head of the Taiwanese AEC at the time and now lives in

Maryland (whom I had met previously).  They tried, but were unsuccessful.

There is little doubt about the approximate doses and about the cancer

cases.  So the conclusion is clear.  But we have no demographic data on age,

sex, etc of the population, so the info does not fully meet scientific

journal standards.