Re: Pregnancy Test Advised for Female Trauma Victims Prior to Radiation Exposure

Does anyone know if the doses described, and, more to the point, the ACOG's

"maximum limit", are fetal/embryo doses, or something else?  The

implication of the first paragraph in the news article is that the primary

dose of concern, when considering the management of a pregnant patient, is

that to the mother.

It's difficult for me to believe that most health/medical physicists would

agree with that.  E.g., one of the studies that is likely common in the

workups of trauma patients is cranial CT.  One imagines that an entrance

exposure, or total imparted dose, to the *patient*, from such a procedure,

could result in a number that would sound very large, in the context of

pregnancy, but that the actual fetal dose would be very much lower (two

orders of magnitude?)

Hastily, I don my armor, and take up my shield

cja