Re: Pregnancy Test Advised for Female Trauma Victims Prior to Radiation Exposure

Sandy

I'm not sure that I fully understand your response, but I shall try to

clarify my position, at least.  I certainly would not presume to say that

it's " . . . the physician's duty to protect the mother at all

costs."  Clearly, it's a medical decision , and highly context dependent,

as to when, firstly, it is *necessary* to choose between the life of a

mother and that of her unborn child, and, then, which is the more

valuable.  Could there be a more heartrending triage to have to make?

My *only* point, in regard to the issues presented in the article, bore

upon matters of physics, not ethics, or morality, or the proper practice of

medicine, per se.  So, if the ACOG makes recommendations as to the

management of pregnant patients, in a radiological context, whether

traumatic or not, I hope that it does so in consideration of the potential,

or actual, *fetal* dose, not a dose to the mother (wherever that might be).

Moving along a bit, can anyone think of a diagnostic procedure, or series

of procedures, that would give a fetal dose in excess of five (5) rad?  I

mean specifically in the arena of the ER?

Also, while lead shielding is great, properly used, it can give a false

sense of confidence, to the uninitiated.  The problem is that, in much of

diagnostic radiology, the important fetal exposure results from radiation

scattered internally to the mother.  I.e., the fetus is not in the direct

beam of radiation, but the mother's internal organs bounce around some of

the radiation from that beam, and some of it goes towards the fetus.  Lead

shielding *external* to the mother is not very helpful, in this case.

cheers

cja