Re: Pregnancy Test Advised for Female Trauma Victims Prior to radiation exposure

Hello Chris,

>>The implication of the first paragraph in the news article is that the

primary dose of concern, when considering the management of a pregnant

patient, is that to the mother.<<

The article fails to give any meaningful statistics. They only state two

parameters, that there were doses that exceeded 5 rads and that the mean

dose was 4.3 rads. Not a lot to go on.

I suspect that those 10 cases resulting in death of the fetus could have

been do to either very high dose, or, the trauma. Again, no details are

provided, which seems to be the general issue with any scientific article

that is written by a lay person, without the necessary scientific background

to produce a valuable piece of work.

As far as your last comment, isn't it the physician's duty to protect the

mother at all costs? From your questions, you seem to be stating that if

there is a fetus involved, a known fetus, that perhaps the mother should not

receive the necessary care, diagnostic tools, such as radiation, only

because of the fetus. This enters morality and ethics issues (depending on

which side you come down on) and not medical treatment. Since we're

talking about trauma, and I have to assume serious trauma, then whatever

is done needs to be done. The physician and EMTs can't be expected to do

all kinds of tests only because there is a fetus present.

Regards,

Sandy

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle