Re: Chapelcross reactor/first commercial NPP

>Calder Hall was hailed as the world's first "commercial nuclear power

>plant" when it opened in 1956. In fact its primary purpose was to produce

>plutonium for the UK's nuclear weapons. The same was true of Chapelcross

>which opened in 1958.

----

The APS-1 reactor at the Institute of Physics in Obninsk started as an

electricity generator (5 MWe) on June 27 1954 but since the town Obninsk was

not even on the maps until around 1968 a guess is that there were "side

activities" there as well. I was in Obninsk at a dosimetry meeting 2-3 years

ago.

A personal comment only,

Bjorn Cedervall    bcradsafers@hotmail.com