radon measurement

Jean-Charles,

I had hoped to be able to information on a single well liquid scintillation

counter that would have been a cheaper alternative to the large liquid

scintillation counters that I assume you have been using.  However having

checked the literature, I found that the energy range for the two types of

counter I had identified were between 2 and 2000 keV.

We have recently undertaken a large number of Radon measurements across our

site (in excess of 1500) using passive radon detectors supplied by the

NRPB.  These using CR-39 plastic inside a plastic holder.  These are left

in-situ for 3 months and then returned to the NRPB for assessment.  Where

we have found levels of Radon in excess of 100 Bq/m3 we have then carried

out measurements using an AlphaGuard instrument to allow us to identify the

peak radon concentration over shorter time periods.  This indicated that

peak radon concentration are 3-4 times higher than the average

concentration measured over the 3 months.  as your measurements appear to

be over short time periods, I presume that you have looked at this type

(AlphaGuard) of instrument.  The AlphaGuard is manufactured by Genitron

instruments www.genitron.de , there are other manufacturers of this type of

instrumentation e.g. femto-TECH inc e-mail FemtoTech@aol.com.

As we have further work to carry out in this area I would be grateful if

you direct me to a source of information on the picorad procedure.

Regards