RE: W.I.Vernadsky

Ray,

Here's  URL of the Vernadsky Geology Museum in Moscow:  http://www.sgm.ru/    Their phone numbers in Moscow: 203 4667, 292 0943

URL of Vernadsky Institute of Geochemistry : http://www.geokhi.ru/exhibition/expo2000/1e.htm
Vernadsky's page: http://www.geokhi.ru/eng/vernadsk.html
URL of Vernadsky National Library of Ukraine: http://www.nbuv.gov.ua/
E-mail: ellib@csl.freenet.kiev.ua
Contacts: Leonid Kostenko, tel: (380 44) (Ukraine, Kiev) 264-95-01
Anatolij Chekmarev, tel: (380 44) 264-85-19

Vernadsky mostly worked on developing a nooshpere concept, here are some references that  I found:

Vernadsky, Vladimir I. 1998. "The Biosphere". New York: Copernicus.

Biblioteka trudov akademika V.I. Vernadskogo (The Library of Academician Vernadsky’s Works),
series editor, Academician A.L. Yanshin. Volume 3:
V.I. Vernadsky: Trudy po geokhimii
(V.I. Vernadsky: Studies on Geochemistry), volume editor, Professor A.A. Yaroshevskii,
Doctor of Geology and Mineralogy, Moscow: Nauka, 1994; 496 pages

Bailes, Kendall. Science and Russian Culture in an Age of Revolution: Vernadsky and His Scientific School, 1863-1945 (Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Press, 1989).

He taught courses in Sorbonne and in Germany in the 1920's and published some of his works there, only several of his works were translated in English.

Cheers.
Oleg.

Hello,
Does anyone on the list have any information on W.I. Vernadsky and his papers, monographs, etc. on radioisotopes?  He published in Russian in the 1930's,later in English. Martin D.Kamen writes of one of Vernadsky's monographs included in the "Transactions of the Connecticut Academy of Sciences 35(1944): 483, but I have been unable to locate it. The Secretary of the Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering  was unaware, when questioned, of a predecessor "Academy of Sciences" in Ct.

I am also still seeking information on the German preference for radiant, as opposed to convection, cooling on dry cask spent fuel storage. The discussions were held and the die cast in the late 1970's. Anyone have any contacts that can be quizzed in Germany?

                            Thank You,

                                                      Ray