RE: German sea winds may be answer to energy woes

Sandy Perle wrote on Friday July 13, 2001 10:15 AM :

<SNIP>

German sea winds may be answer to energy woes

LUEBKE-KOOG, Germany, July 13 (Reuters) - How do you meet the energy

needs of Europe's largest economy without exceeding pollution limits

set out in the Kyoto treaty, just months after you abandoned nuclear

power?

<SNIP>

"There's a lot of idealism in this. It could be that in 20 years time

my daughter turns around to me and laughs at our misguided efforts,"

he says.

"But then we'll just turn the windmills into ships' masts and that's

it. Unlike the other forms of energy production we have today, there

will be no harm done."

<SNIP>

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Comment :

It seems to me those concrete columns supporting windmills are WAY bigger &

more massive (especially the huge concrete bases buried & unseen above

ground) than anything a ship could use...  BUT its occurred to me that they

might be useful for highway construction RIGHT WHERE THEY ARE -- just

connect the tops with bridge spans, possibly adding extra columns if the

original windmills were spaced too far apart...... (see approved engineering

general arrangement drawing below...)

Perhaps the off-shore wind farms should already be planned with this

eventuality in mind ?

Boy, we could have highways going everywhere, and nobody would mind, since

they're just slight modifications of clean, green, environmentally friendly,

bla, bla, bla, structures !!  ( NIMBY, mind you !! )

Jaro

frantaj@aecl.ca