Autobiography R. Shadis -Shared "Strictly in the cause of efficiency"

Radsafe:

For those who might wish to understand where Ray Shadis is coming from see a
copy of a post he made to the antinuclear DOEWatch bulletin board a while
back which can be read in full via the hyperlink below. If the hyperlink
doesn't work, copy the url provided into your browser.  Mr. Shadis had noted
in his post that:

"I intend to share this message with some other fine folks, strictly in the
cause of efficiency"
so there should be no problem sharing it with the fine
folks of Radsafe as well. See:

Click here to see full letter from Shadis on his goals to shut all nuclear
plants

As noted from his own autobiography, Mr. Shadis is a professional
anti-nuclear activist working for many years on shutting down all nuclear
power stations in New England. I only hope that when they close all the lakes
in Maine [and Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island,
Connecticut, and southern Canada] to sportfishing due to mercury pollution
from coal burning and the cumulative effects of acid rain, Mr. Shadis and his
anti-nuclear associates step forward to take some of the well-deserved
credit. Although, Mr. Shadis may not care, hundreds of  "pristine"  isolated
lakes across Northern New England with no local pollution sources for mercury
input, now have public health advisories warning pregnant women and children
under 12 not to eat any fish or very limited amounts due to methylmercury
building up from generalized air pollution, mainly from coal plants to the
west. Eagles are turning up brain dead in Maine, Massachusetts, Upstate New
York, and other parts of the Northeast due to mercury pollution from having
eating tainted fish from "pristine" mountain lakes with no local pollution
source. Loons in Lake Champlain {Vermont and New York State] cannot reproduce
due to the toxicity of methyl mercury and its effects as a developmental
toxin.

Is radiation uniquely hazardous? I'm a lot more concerned about the actual
present and commited long-term consequences of mercury pollution in the
environment from fossil fuel combustion,  which is not going to decay away as
would be the case with any localized minimal radioactive contamination. Mr.
Shadis is presently concerned about the localized radioactivity from Maine
Yankee operations which occured in Bailey Cove [a tidal mudflats] near Maine
Yankee during its operation. I conducted numerous high pressure ionization
chamber surveys at many parts of Bailey Cove to document incremental
radiation dose during the peak periods of contamination in the 1970s. Even at
its peak levels of contamination in the mudflats [the critical pathway was
direct radiation dose to worm harvesters working the cove at low tide]  the
incremental exposure rate over the most contamined sediments was less than
the background radiation exposure rates over the granite shoreline around
Bailey Cove due to the high uranium content of local granite.

Also, Mr. Shadis, and earlier anti-nuclear groups like the Clamshell Alliance
in New Hampshire which may have mutated into his "Friends of the Coast" group
which he "deployed" in 1995  as part of his anti-nuclear strategy he puts it,
 perhaps can take some small satisfaction & credit where it is due for
driving up the cost of  electric power in New England by shutting down Maine
Yankee and adding billions of dollars to the cost of Seabrook Station through
legal and political delay tactics throughout the 1980s. As Mr. Shadis himself
writes: "Of course, we are wildly egotistical about the wholer [sic]
business."
I'm sure they are.

I am reminded of the quote from the Charlie Shultz's  Peanuts which may be
considered applicable to the work of Mr. Shadis, et.al.: "I shot an arrow in
the air --Where it lands is someone else's problem"

For information about the NRC Panel to which Mr. Shadis has been invited to
participate see:

http://wiscassetnewspaper.maine.com/2000-12-07/shadis_on_panel.html

Enjoy and let's all thank the search engine Google.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, Vermont 05674
[802] 496-3356
email: SAFarberMSPH@cs.com
======
An excerpt from the above-cited post by Mr. Shadis follows:

"Please bear with an introduction- In 1979, my wife (now an attorney) and I
filed the nation's first citizen initiative to close an operating
reactor:Maine Yankee Atomic Power Station [MYAPS], then but six years old.
41.9 percent of a resulting referendum vote favored immediate closure.The
referendum committee we founded continued through two additional closure
referenda, the last being in 1987. In 1982 I signed on as technical
information coordinator for a local group intervening in a spent
fuelconsolidation proposal at MY Atomic. We were successful in bringing the
project to a standstill. This was one of a very few successful interventions
in NRC history. About that time I joined the Board of Trustees of the New
England Coalition on Nuclear Pollution and served as a trustee until February
1998 when I resigned to accept a position as a fieldstaff person.My primary
responsibilty is to develop an informational base[technical, largely] for
closing the remainder of New England's nuclear stations. I should mention
that, after 14 years of independent study of the nuclear contest, I developed
a loose strategy for closing plants which I deployed in 1995 by founding
Friends of the Coast. This small, local organization was instrumental in the
forced shutdown of MYAPS after an intense 2 1/2 year campaign. We are now the
only environmental advocacyorganization reppresented on Maine Yankee's
Community Advisory Panel on Decommissioning.  We enjoy a good working, albeit
adversarial, relationship with Maine Yankee staff and , according to recent
MYAPS polling, we enjoy very high favorability and credibility ratings- far
surpassing thecompany,the NRC, and most state agencies. Of course, we are
wildly egotistical about the wholer [sic] business. However, the industry
with the cooperation of the federal government is making a fine attempt at
rendering the decommissioning of nuclear stations a non-issue. Friends of the
Coast is an intervenor in a MYAPS FERC case:now in discovery.The New England
Coalition is appealing a denial of standing as intervenors in the Yankee Rowe
License Termination AND has joined in an application for a hearing on
extending the refueling cycle onSeabrook Nuclear Station. Today, tommorrow,
and the next day, I will be completing an NRC filing on restart issues for
Millstone III Nuclear PowerStation. Busy, busy, busy. What I am hoping for
is develop a casual, information and support network of responsible,
competent, and dedicated people who are working on nuclear waste stream and
storage issues. Perhaps you would care to share your perceptions. Since I
type poorly, painfully, and slowly, I intend to share this message with some
other fine folks, strictly in the cause of efficiency. And perhaps we'll get
a round-robin going. Perhaps a national symposium. Thanks for all your good
work.                              Ray"