Re: U.S. NRC proposes changes to shallow dose exposure limit

The reason I asked this question:

       1)  The concern of Mo, SS and W filtered x-ray

diffration unit primary beams, where the affected area

may only be 1 cm2 or less.

       2)  An exposure of a focused electron beam,

from a machine or a radioactive source where the

affected area may be only 1 cm2 or less.

It seems to me that the effective shallow tissue dose

equivalent limit for these would be 0.5 Sv per year

irrespective of beam diameter at the point of

exposure. Perhaps I am wrong here. These are not

covered by 10 CFR 20 for the most part, but by state

regulations

       3)  Consistency with the MPE(skin) for lasers

which have wavelengths in the range of about 180 nm to

400 nm, which are equivalent to ~ 0.006 to 1 Jcm-2,

where the affected area may be 1 cm2.

What ever happened to the "proposal" which

stated "exposure to the skin from a point source or

particle of unknown size but less than 1 mm in

diameter is limited to 10 billion beta particles

emitted from the radionuclides contained in the

particle.  For the case of 1 beta per disintegration,

the limit is expressed as 10 Gbq or 75 uCi h?

Was this too conservative or too hard to work with?

Paul Shafer

=====