Self-selection bias

Noted in the original article was a figure of "Tens of thousands" of

personnel involved - sounds like a reasonable figure to me.  A 59% cancer

mortality  rate is high in the smaller number of folks who joined the

association, but since they chose to join the association (National

Association of Atomic Veterans) I'd suspect that there's a significant

self-selection bias in the data.

(Obviously) my own personal opinion

Brian Rees

brees@lanl.gov

According to the association's survey of 1,572 men

 >present for the 1946 Bikini Atoll detonations, 59 percent have died of

 >cancer, at an average age of 57."

If true, the cancer incidence in this group would be significantly high.

Does anyone know whether these figures have been scientifically

verified?