Hormesis: Implications for Public Policy Regarding Toxicants

Group,

A member of this list posted a message referencing an article with this

title by Lester B. Lave in the Annual Review of Public Health.  Rather than

just reading the abstract, I obtained a copy of the article.  Rather than

simpling praising hormesis, it raises the question of how hormesis should be

incorporated in regulations.  As stated:

"Current regulation of toxicants at low exposures might be wasting billions

of dollars and harming the health of groups they are designed to protect.

However, before public policy can be refashioned to incorporate this

fundamental change, we need to understand (a) the effects of low doses on

the most sensitive individuals and (b) whether the hormetic effect is

general for all or for wide classes of toxicants or whether it is toxicant

specific.  If the stimulation effect already takes place because of current

low-level exposures to toxicants, or if there are many sensitive individuals

who would be harmed by low doses, hormesis might have no effect on the

policy for regulating toxic substances." And " . . . Proposed changes in

policy are unlikely to be adopted unless they are compatible with public

perceptions and desires. . . ."

If you wish a copy of this article, please contact me directly at

jjacobus@mail.nih.gov

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist