Re: Having a baby after a seed implant

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----

Von: Gerald Nicholls <GNICHOLL@DEP.STATE.NJ.US>

An: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Datum: Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2001 22:02

Betreff: Re: Having a baby after a seed implant

>The question originally posed was technical and appropriate... how long

should someone wait following a radioactive implant to father a child?

No, the question was, how long a  6 7  y e a r  o l d  man should wait to

father a child. I have given my opinion - which everybody has the right to

oppose, I did not read any opposition to my ethical approach to this

question. In my opinion no medical doctor in the world is entitled to give

an advice in such a question without taking the age of the person into

consideration. Maybe a computer can do so, which has not programmed

correctly to ask for the age input. Since the age of this person is

decisive, no opinion as to the radiation consequences is necessary. You sure

know the decision trees: One of the branches would be "Age of the person

above xx years?" "No - go to radiation dose considerations", "Yes - forget

it". And 67 years is "Forget it".

A point to ponder...given the response of an expert in our field to

non-radiation related, unasked questions in several other fields, why then,

do some of us take umbrage when a non-expert questions our professional

views on radiation protection and public health?

------------------------

I tried to understand the meaning of the above. I cannot. The question of a

67 years old man wishing to father a child has nothing to do with radiation

protection - wasn't that clear enough from my posting? I also reject that

anybody, including me, should not be entitled to respond to questions or to

everyday situations and opinions in fields which do not require expert

knowledge, like "Do I like that music? Do I like this painting etc." I

refuse to have to shut up, when I have an opinion about something I feel abl

e to comment - whether I have been asked the question or not. I personally

do not utter an opinion about things, of which I do not understand anything

of - but especially in the field of radiation protection, radiation hazards,

nuclear energy there are too many non-experts who spread their opinions by

mass media in order to influence political decisions. Yes, I do not like

that and I feel to be entitled to that.

Franz