Fwd: US DOT excepted package statements

>Sherry

Please see: http://hazmat.dot.gov/rules/2000_7702_fr.htm  This is the Final

Rule on 49 CFR 171 -173, 175 -180; i.e., a 268-page document (downloading

at 56K is not recommended).

Basically, the DOT authorizes *voluntary compliance* with the use of the

new ICAO Hazardous Materials Table, beginning 1 July 2001.  The HMT

includes the new UN numbers, shipping names, etc.; it also excludes

selected numbers, names, etc., which were/are in the "former" Table.   Some

things are "not" changing, e.g., the definition of RAM and the values for

Type A packaging.

Compliance is technically not *required*, unless this is a misprint, until

1 October 2002.  Note that our experience, so far, has been that

shippers/carriers are using the new HMT.  We have not tried to ship using

the "former" names/numbers, but, were we to do so, it would not surprise

me, if a carrier were to reject the package, and tell us to redo the

papers, and relabel it, to conform to the new HMT.  They would be within

their rights (and, certainly, their powers !!).

Show me the errors of my ways, I beg thee

cja