Re: Is there a database...

Thanks, John for this interesting link. I think there's something to be

mined here in the form of public information that can help with this issue

of perspectives on radiation risks. My zip code shows >20 facilities that

are handling HAZARDOUS WASTES, and three that are DUMPING HAZARDOUS WASTES

INTO LOCAL WATERWAYS. Sounds awful, in the hands of the right journalist.

But these include dry cleaners, animal hospitals, and a Home Depot, which no

one really perceives as a danger to the community.

I'm *still* trying to track down statistics on the number of chemical and

other hazardous (nonradiologic) spills that we tolerate as a matter of

course every year (chlorine gas, sulfuric acid, etc.), in which whole

communities may be evacuated and actual human beings (not LNT model-based

theoretical individuals) are injured, overcome by toxic fumes, etc. I have

some leads now, but comprehensive numbers are still lacking.

My idea is that communication of this kind of information to the public,

with comparison of what is going on with radioactive shipments, storage

issues, and the like, can perhaps change some opinions about what is a

hazard and what is not. If we could get some data together, I would like to

write a short piece, which I would share with anyone interested, that could

be sent to local newspapers as OpEd material.

Michael G. Stabin, PhD, CHP

Assistant Professor of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Department of Radiology and Radiological Sciences

Vanderbilt University

1161 21st Avenue South

Nashville, TN 37232-2675

Phone (615) 322-3190

Fax   (615) 322-3764

e-mail  michael.g.stabin@vanderbilt.edu

"Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of"

- Steven Wright