Radworker Practices Survey

Here is a question for the Power Plant workers on RADSAFE

During a self assessment on Radworker Practices that is ongoing at Browns

Ferry, three questions arose from our assessors and we would like input as

to how the rest of the industry currently handles these areas.  Any input on

any or all of these questions would be appreciated.

*	During initial training of Radworkers in TVA they undergo a dress

out practical factor training and then repeat it every three years

thereafter.  Do you require a re-qualification of dress out training and if

so at what interval?

*	One of the other plants in the TVA system (as well as the plant of

our outside TVA assessor) eliminated the clean trash receptacles in the RCA

(Radiologically Controlled Area) as a means to reduce Radwaste. The theory

being if the worker will have to bring it out they will bring less in to

begin with.  Does your plant do this and does it work well to achieve its

intended purpose?

*	The third question deals with tools used in the RCA.  We currently

mark only the tools used in the RCA that have fixed contamination on them

with purple paint.  Our other assessor said it was a good practice to paint

all of the tools that are used in the RCA and not just the ones with fixed

contamination.  What does your utility do, do you paint or mark all of the

tools used in the RCA or only the ones with fixed contamination on them?

Chuck Creamer

Charles E. Creamer

Health Physicist

Tennessee Valley Authority