RE:Radiophobia-Paranoia? Risk communication

The following message is from Paul Prichard, please reply to that address.

From: "PAUL PRICHARD" <PRICHP@dnc.dom.com>

To: <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

Subject: RE:Radiophobia-Paranoia? Risk communication

Bjorn,

I agree with your contention that communication about risk facts is =

questionable.  I am reviewing station Emergency plan procedures preparing =

for our annual requal for Health Physics technicians.  The procedure on =

radiation exposure control requires that if exposures greater than 25 Rem =

(life saving actions) are expected, the potential health effects of the =

increased exposure be explained to the volunteer.  The procedure contains =

two tables of risk factors.  Of course an emergency worker needs to know =

what he's getting into.  But by the time the health physicist finishes =

explaining the tables, the victim will be long gone. =20

All of this applies to the high dose regime where the expected outcome is =

reasonably well known.  Give a new radiation worker a risk table for the =

low exposures they will be likely to receive and you will likely get one =

of three responses.  1) The worker will feel assured that the radiation =

phenomenon is well understood and things will be okay.  2) The worker will =

feel that the Company is trying to baffle him with statistics.  3) The =

worker will just tune it all out and get to work.

In job briefings that I've conducted, I've had some workers say something =

like, "We'll watch you.  If you look worried, we'll be worried."  From a =

practical point, that'll work.

Just an analog guy in a digital world.

Paul Prichard

Millstone Station