RE: Radiophobia-Paranoia? Risk communication

Bjorn:

You make some good points about phobia, and I accept your meaning.  I would

like to point out, however, that Robert DuPont, MD, one of the world's top

experts on phobias, and head of what was I think called The Phobia

Institute, wrote an article in the Washington Post many years ago, saying

that he had been studying people's fear of radiation and concluded that it

was not only irrational, but clinically phobic.  I have his report.

There was such an outraged reaction from many quarters ("He says everyone

who is against nuclear power is crazy"), that he snuck away and never

mentioned the subject again, as far as I can tell.

Moral: Don't ever upset Nader and all his friends in high places :-)

Ted Rockwell

Ted Rockwell