Cloud chambers for idiots

First of all, I'd like to thank all those individuals who provided advice

and shared their experiences with cloud chambers.  It was very helpful and

greatly appreciated.

Now, having finally gotten a cloud chamber demonstration to work, I thought

I'd provide some complete, concise directions for anyone else who wants to

try this.  It went over very well in the class I taught over the last three

days.

1.  Get yourself one or more small glass jars.  You need to be able to

provide an air-tight seal.  Pyrex makes a 2 cup (500ml) glass bowl that

comes with an air-tight plastic lid.  These worked well for me.

2.  Glue two 1" x 1" patches of felt to the bottom of the jar.  These will

hold the alcohol that will form the vapor.

3.  Get yourself a radium dial hand, or some other radium-painted object.  I

had absolutely no luck with uranium ore.  This stands to reason, when you

consider the specific activity of radium vs. uranium.

4.  Take the plastic lid that came with the pyrex bowl and place it upside

down on a countertop or table.  Put the radium source in the middle of the

lid.

5.  Put 5 to 7 drops of ethyl alcohol on each of the felt pads.  Isopropyl

alcohol will not work, at least it didn't for me.  I actually used 80 proof

vodka, although I would rather have used something purer.  My students got a

kick out of my using vodka.

6.  Invert the bowl (opening facing down) and put it on the lid, making sure

to get a good seal between the lid and the bowl.  Wait 5-10 minutes for a

good vapor to form inside the bowl.  Placing your hand on the top of the

bowl can help the vapor to form.  You will not be able to see the vapor.

7.  Put the bowl (still upside down) onto a block of dry ice.  The plastic

lid should be in contact with the dry ice.  Wait a few minutes (probably

around 5 minutes).

8.  Dim the lights in the room, and shine a flashlight in through the side

of the bowl toward the radium source.  You should see tracks appearing in

the volume immediately around the source.  They will be about an inch long.

These are the alpha tracks.  Longer, thinner tracks that loop and twist are

beta or gamma tracks.  If you can't see any tracks, move yourself and the

flashlight around the bowl; the viewing will be better from some directions

than from others.  The chamber will continue to function for several

minutes, depending on how much vapor you have, and whether any moisture

builds up on the source and attenuates the alpha particles.

Good luck; this is a very rewarding demonstration, and everyone I've done it

for has been really impressed.  It does a wonderful job of taking

theoretical lectures on types of radiation and linking them to actual

physical reality.

Phil Hypes

Los Alamos Radiation Consultants

laradcon@hotmail.com