RE: Baltimore Tunnel Incident Comment

Paul Lavely,

	First, I agree that the actions taken regarding the transports

through the Caldicott tunnel were/are appropriate.

	Second, I no longer live in the area, so I can't speak as to how the

"ordinance" is being applied or enforced these days. However I was living

there and working at Mare Island Naval Shipyard when the Berkley "Nuclear

Free Zone" was first declared. As a consequence of this, the shipyard

actually spent some time moving RAM between the Shipyard and Alameda via

barge in an effort to respect the ordinance before clearer heads prevailed

and realized that this presented far more  opportunities for disaster than

moving said material via truck. Whereupon movements via truck were resumed.

All of this indicated to me that, at least in the beginning, it was indeed

intended to be a radiation free zone.

Claude W Landes, RRPT

Radiological Controls Technician, Lead

ERC Radiological Counting Facility