Wind Power NIMBYs on Long Island, NY

From a story titled:

LIPA seeks new generation despite local opposition
Se Reuters: http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsstory.cfm?newsid=11804

residents of  Montauk Point on Eastern Long Island are opposing the proposed
construction of a wind power project as being too noisy and unsightly. Since
the article below is subtitled "Long Island Wind" it occurred to me that
perhaps Christie Brinkley of the Tooth Fairy Project might donate her
property in the Hamptons of LI for a wind farm. Similarly perhaps Barbara
Streisand [who I believe opposes nuclear power] on the West coast might let
her property be used for wind generation.

If all the political rhetoric and hot air emitted in opposing nuclear power
generation on supposed environmental grounds were to be harnessed we wouldn't
need to build central power stations.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Public Health Sciences
emaiL SAFarberMSPH@cs.com

===========
From above Reuters News link:

"LONG ISLAND WIND

In addition to working with several power plant developers on Long Island,
the LIPA said it was considering a wind power project for its 1.1 million
customers on the breezy island."We're looking into the feasibility of wind
power for Long Island," said LIPA spokesman Michael Lowndes, adding that the
state-owned power distributor did not yet have a plan for where the project
would be built.Lowndes noted, however, LIPA Chairman Kessel wants to
accelerate the wind power study, making it one of several options available
to help bolster Long Island's power supply.This is not the first time wind
power has been proposed.Last year, a plan was launched to build three wind
turbines on state-owned land at Montauk Point, on the island's extreme
eastern tip, as a demonstration project that would have powered the
recreation area's concession stand and other facilities.Residents of the
summer resort town, however, opposed the project, claiming among other things
it would be unsightly and noisy.LIPA abandoned the Montauk project, but is
looking for a more remote location for its wind turbines.

Story by Scott DiSavino

REUTERS NEWS SERVICE
"