Re: Medical RF Imaging

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Gary Isenhower wrote:

> I imagined something like a computed tomography scanner that could

> measure RF transmission, then use filtered back projection to

> reconstruct an image.  Even if only say 2-10% transmission is detected,

> that should be plenty to determine absorption coefficients.  I

> "fantasized" that such could be made as small as (or smaller than) some

> of the new mini c-arms that have become popular recently

> So far, I have heard no solid reason why its impossible.  Perhaps I will

> invent it and become a "biased corporate interest".  Then I could

> completely reverse my position on radiation safety and urge the public

> to shun harmful radiation in favor of my all-natural imaging technology.

> ;)

	--As a general rule, the limit of resolution is about 20% ofthe

wavelength of the radiation used, so you would need submillimeter

wavelength RF to obtain useful resolution.  Is there technology for

generating sub-millimeter RF? That is for starters. Problems

of reflectivity and absorptivity would then have to be faced.