Re: Medical RF Imaging

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  I got several "Ever

heard of MRI?" messages.  I should have explicitly said that I am very

familiar with MRI, even know something about the quantum mechanics

involved :)

I posed the question because MRI is very expensive and requires a huge

magnet.  I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if there was a cheap,

portable RF imaging device.  In college I participated in some research

that sought to use RF transmission thru tissue to determine glucose

levels in the blood ( for diabetics).  I believe that device is now

widely available.

I imagined something like a computed tomography scanner that could

measure RF transmission, then use filtered back projection to

reconstruct an image.  Even if only say 2-10% transmission is detected,

that should be plenty to determine absorption coefficients.  I

"fantasized" that such could be made as small as (or smaller than) some

of the new mini c-arms that have become popular recently

So far, I have heard no solid reason why its impossible.  Perhaps I will

invent it and become a "biased corporate interest".  Then I could

completely reverse my position on radiation safety and urge the public

to shun harmful radiation in favor of my all-natural imaging technology.

;)

	Gary Isenhower

	713-798-8353

	garyi@bcm.tmc.edu