Re: Medical RF Imaging

I recall reading an article about 5(?) years ago regarding microwave

imaging of human body for contrabands. The imaging was done using microwave

emitted by human body. The image accompanying the article was low

resolution (compared to x-ray images) but a pistol can be clearly observed.

There was also a discussion of invasion of privacy issue in the article. I

don't recall if the article mentioned the wavelength of microwave emitted

by human body through electrical activity in neurons and muscles.  I do

recall that my thoughts when I read the article were:  1) Hey, something

like Starship Enterprise technology to locate humanoids on planet surface

from space; and 2) I wonder if we can image neuromuscular activity in human

body directly? We might be to easily pinpoint problem areas.

Perhaps someone is already working on it. If anyone knows the status of

this technology, I would appreciate it if you can give me an update. Thanks

in advance.

________________________________

Toshihide "Tosh" Ushino, CHP

ICN Dosimetry   (800) 548-5100 x2413

                    Gary Isenhower

                    <garyi@BCM.TMC.EDU>            To:     radsafe <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                    Sent by:                       cc:

                    owner-radsafe@list.vand        Subject:     Re: Medical RF Imaging

                    erbilt.edu

                    07/30/01 01:37 AM

                    Please respond to Gary

                    Isenhower

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  I got several "Ever

heard of MRI?" messages.  I should have explicitly said that I am very

familiar with MRI, even know something about the quantum mechanics

involved :)

I posed the question because MRI is very expensive and requires a huge

magnet.  I was thinking, wouldn't it be nice if there was a cheap,

portable RF imaging device.  In college I participated in some research

that sought to use RF transmission thru tissue to determine glucose

levels in the blood ( for diabetics).  I believe that device is now

widely available.

I imagined something like a computed tomography scanner that could

measure RF transmission, then use filtered back projection to

reconstruct an image.  Even if only say 2-10% transmission is detected,

that should be plenty to determine absorption coefficients.  I

"fantasized" that such could be made as small as (or smaller than) some

of the new mini c-arms that have become popular recently

So far, I have heard no solid reason why its impossible.  Perhaps I will

invent it and become a "biased corporate interest".  Then I could

completely reverse my position on radiation safety and urge the public

to shun harmful radiation in favor of my all-natural imaging technology.

;)

     Gary Isenhower

     713-798-8353

     garyi@bcm.tmc.edu