RE Nuclear Free Berkeley & the Baltimore Tunnel Incident Thread

Group,

First I would like to say, although I have seen VERY MANY "RE Baltimore

Tunnel Incident" subjects I never saw the original message.  I would

appreciate seeing it, could someone forward it to me please?

I worked in Nuclear Free Berkeley at the Berkeley Research Reactor,

University of California.  I was involved in the planning for but not the

implementation of the decommissioning of the BRR.  The City of Berkeley

suggested to us that we sneak the fuel elements out the back door through

Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.  Actually they didn't say sneak but they asked

U.C. to take the fuel out through LBL rather than  through town.  That was

somewhat farcical as Berkeley City Streets went between Etcheverry Hall

which housed the BRR and the main part of campus.  A vehicle transporting

fuel elements would have had to travel city streets for a certain distance

before it would get onto the federal property of LBL.  The City of Berkeley

had tried for years to get U.C. to get rid of the reactor and then wanted it

taken out the back door.  Maybe they just wanted to minimize the bad karma

associated with reactor fuel.  For those not familiar with the geography of

the area, what they asked would put the fuel truck into the Berkeley foot

hills and on narrow mountain type roads instead of a two lane main city

street about 3 to 5 miles to an Interstate highway and then very quickly out

of the city.

I was not privy to the wording of the reply, but I think it amounted to, "I

don't think so!"

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those

of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the

U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig

Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO

80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115

303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate for business -

vernig.peter@forum.va.gov; private - peter_vernig@hotmail.com] Fax

303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate Fax 303-377-5686

"...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is

pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is found to be

excellent or praiseworthy, let your mind dwell on these things."    Paul