Re: Child Dies in MRI Machine

Dear Mark:

This is very sad.  For a patient needing O2 during the

MRI procedure, a poly mask with a poly hose from the

wall O2 supply should always be used, with no O2

bottle/other metal objects near the electromagnet(s)

and preferable none in the room unless secured in a

fixed position. The T m-2 are just too high.  We ran a

test near a large MRI at U of I and at normal power

operation it could pull a 5 kg carbon steel plate

located at a distance of 2 meters away from the center

of the magnet. This has got to be an operator error I

am sure.

There are obviously benefits and risks with

non-ionizing radiation which many people do not

realize.

Thanks for sharing this important information with

RADSAFE.

Paul Shafer