Private:

Franz Schoenhofer

Habicherg. 31/7

A-1160 Vienna, AUSTRIA

Phone: -43 699 11681319

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@chello.at

Office:

MR Dr. Franz Schoenhofer

Federal Ministry for Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management

Dep. I/8U, Radiation Protection

Radetzkystr. 2

A-1031 Vienna, AUSTRIA

phone: +43-1-71100-4458

fax: +43-1-7122331

e-mail: franz.schoenhofer@bmu.gv.at

Dear RADSAFErs, dear Jevgenij,

There came up the question of Jevgenij, why the IAEA is based in Austria, if

there is so much opposition against nuclear power in Austria.

First of all, the opposition comes from some groups, which have very good

contacts to the print media. They distribute the opiniuons world-wide - this

is called "multiplicators". The official Austria is very cautious - so this

is no good issue for headlines. Considerations like one party loosing in all

opinion polls has to put forward some issues that Mr. and Ms. Average

Austrian are afraid of - deadly nuclear power (Chernobyl, Temelin), resents

towards a neighbouring country, fear for the living standard if Eastern

European Countries enter the European Union etc..... Think of the situation

in the USA - how many nuclear power plants did not even go into operation

and the troubles with Yucca mountain.

So there seems to me not to be any objective reason, why the Austrian

Government should not host the IAEA and there seems to be no reason why the

IAEA should not accept the generous offer of the Austrian Government to

reside in the Vienna International Center paying the exorbitant sum of 1

(one) Austrian Schilling, equivalent to approximately 6 (six) US cents not

for the day, not for the week, not for the months, but for the year!

I have not met any employee of the IAEA yet, who would have complained about

the attitudes of Viennese persons on nuclear energy. Everybody ever has

assured me, that she or he feels very fine in Vienna and hopes to stay here

for a longer time.

So I suppose, that the employees would most likely oppose any transfer of

the IAEA to another town - for which there is no reason.

Best regards,

Franz