Re: radioactivity from fossil fuel power stations

You know, I believe that all of the arguments on RADSAFE that might be
summarized as "Energy Conversion Method A putatively kills more people that
Energy Conversion Method B, so B must be better than A, so there!" lead to a
dead end.  Moreover, they are neither constructive nor productive.

We have known for a very long time that the most dangerous occupation
associated with energy conversion is underground coal mining.  However, strip
mining coal is a mess, but kills fewer people.  Working on oil rigs,
especially offshore, is very dangerous.  We had a dozen people killed in a
gas pipeline explosion last year.  Windmills are dangerous to service.  And
so on.

In fact:

1.  All energy conversion technologies have adverse environmental and health
effects (Second Law of Thermodynamics).
2.  The world is going to use all of them anyway until they are all gone.
3.  Human beings tolerate other much more lethal ventures (Driving cars?)
4.  No one has ever put a technology to use, or shunned a technology, because
it carried severe occupational hazards.  A few applications of hazardous
technology:  all mechanized agriculture (my daughter got her hand caught in
the cog mechnism of a plow one summer), house construction, road
construction, truck driving, rail freight, air travel, air freight, cooking
(especially restaurant cooking).

we are not getting anywhere with arguments like "nukes kill fewer people than
X but more than Y.''

Ruth Weiner, Ph. D.
ruthweiner@aol.com