RE: radioactivity from fossil fuel power stations

 I am suffering from a conceptual disfunction with this entire string, that

I wish somebody could help me with.

OK.  We mine coal. Due to subsidence, the void is replaced by minerals with

a higher U, Th concentration.  But the laws of conservation state that it

came from somewhere else.  So whether 11, 14, or 30 additional deaths happen

in a given location due to the replacement of the coal by minerals; wouldn't

the same number have been "saved" because it was transported away from its

previous location?

Additionally, how do you "trap" Radon for so long a period in rock

formations, when it has such a short halflife. It would seem to me that you

are simply trapping Helium, which is the byproduct of Alpha decay.

Someone please tell me where my logic fails.

Jim Stokes