Re: Regarding a recent virus that reached my Radsafers address

I think it appropriate to send this off topic message in light of the

severity of recent malicious code attacks on Radsafe and email in general.

Soapbox--Nomex garments on, shields up: It is your responsibility to be a

safe computer user to the community. If you do not "have the time" or are

unwilling to learn, then you do not belong on the net. This includes

protection against extrusion (sending out malicious messages)--you knew, or

should have known, you were doing this if you used a good firewall, as well

as intrusion handled by a good antivirus program.

To become educated and get a link to the best, FREE, firewall go to

http://www.grc.com

That is Gibson Research center, run by Steve Gibson. He was the person Yahoo

contacted about Sircam and Code Red. He has loads of information on

security; including his experiences with being the subject of a

denial-of-service attack. He rates the available firewalls, and the free

ZoneAlarm from Zone Labs is his choice. He also can Test your Shields and

Probe your Ports to check your internet security. He even has a tester for

seeing if your firewall prevents extrusion from your computer.

The ZoneAlarm firewall asks you every time a program that you haven't given

permission tries to contact the internet. It recognizes programs that name

themselves the same thing as a program already on your computer (that may

have internet permission, such as Outlook Express) because ZoneAlarm makes

an identifier for the program you gave permission to contact the internet

and therefore recognizes imposters.

ZoneAlarm is simple to download and install--and it works.

When I was having trouble downloading and installing a security patch for

Windows directly from Microsoft, they told me to try it with my firewall

disabled. I noticed a lot of activity on my modem for the small patch

Microsoft was trying to install. When I rebooted, I got a message from

ZoneAlarm asking if I wanted to allow some program I had never heard of to

contact the internet. A click on NO prevented my computer from becoming one

of those that spread a very malicious piece of code (a Trojan called

SubSystem7 Server 2.0) to all my correspondents, including those on Radsafe.

This occurred during the one day window when this trojan came out and Norton

Antivirus had not updated my virus detection software yet.

It was expensive to get the technical support to get all the pieces of that

malicious code out of my computer (pay-per-call to Symantec Technical

Support).

I emailed Microsoft, once I was back online 3 days later, and they sent me a

complete package to install the security patch without having to shut down

my firewall.

If possible, whenever you have to shut down the firewall, disconnect from

the internet (I turn my cable modem off). That may be required when you

upgrade the firewall, or to install some programs.

Good luck.

Yours for safer computing because, "No one wants a computer with a social

disease!"*

Michael Kay

makay43@home.com

*with due apology to Leonard Burnstein ("Gee Officer Krupke" in West Side

Story)