Mystery survey meter - Victoreen Model 325

I am hoping someone can help identify this survey meter.  It is a digital

meter, with a pistol-grip handle and a cylindrical aluminum probe

approximately 3.5cm in diameter and 25cm long.  It has a foil end window.

I carefully disassembled the probe and discovered a long narrow circuit

board with lots of IC's and some sort of solid-state detector, made of

white Teflon  or other plastic with four insulated wires coming off.

This unit showed up with some surplus equipment, and it takes five 9V

batteries.

It displays wildly differing readings ranging from 0-2K REM/hour.

I would like to know when this was made and what it was intended to measure.

Thanks all,

John Norman