RE: Dateline NBC TMI story - A different evaluation

Sandy-

During the days following the pressurizer valve failure at TMI there was

much information available to media and anti's that was either ignored due

to the fact that it was from nuclear industry sources that were viewed with

a jaundiced eye, or was misconstrued or twisted to matched preconceived

notions or agendas.  I too was highly involved in assisting utilities to

develop approaches to compliance with a steadily evolving ("ratcheting")

plethora of regulations and guides in the years prior to the TMI incident. I

do not think that anyone involved would dispute many of the shortcomings

that were cited in regards to communications, emergency planning and

instrumentation to monitor parameters of significance in an accident

scenario.

The question at hand, Sandy, is "Why resurrect fears that were exaggerated

to extremes over 2 decades in the past when, as you mentioned, major

provisions were established in the aftermath and maintained to the present

to avoid the many problems encountered with the situation at TMI, including

improvements to address scenarios far above and beyond that of TMI or even

possibility!?"

This production was clearly a politically motivated effort to induce further

unfounded fears of a beneficial technology that has been improved vastly

beyond that which actually worked (despite human intervention to override

its controls) prior to the improvements implemented post-TMI!

Bob Hearn

rah@america.net