RE: Dateline NBC TMI story - A different evaluation

Hello Bob,

> The question at hand, Sandy, is "Why resurrect fears that were

> exaggerated to extremes over 2 decades in the past when, as you

> mentioned, major provisions were established in the aftermath and

> maintained to the present to avoid the many problems encountered with

> the situation at TMI, including improvements to address scenarios far

> above and beyond that of TMI or even possibility!?"

I agree with the above. If you recall, I started by comments

"Regardless of the facts of the story, let's not forget that during

the entire TMI incident..."  The primary reason I even posted to this

topic, was because in my opinion, what was happening once again on

Radsafe, was a movement to attack an article (that in reality, had

much accuracy) and for the most part, attempted to ignore that there

were problems in the first place. The sole purpose of the attack was

to condemn MSNBC for the piece. In fairness, and I did not see the

piece, but did read the transcript afterwards, the story did say that

the systems in the end worked, and .. so on. However, all

documentaries have emotionalism added in .. this is the nature of the

beast. Regardless of the emotionalism, TMI did happen, there were

serious problems, we did not do well, and, the systems themselves

avoided what could have been a real disaster, root cause would have

been "human factors". We can not argue that. The facts speak for

themselves.

In conclusion, I'll only add, TMI did happen, there were serious

potentials for disaster that did not happen, and we all learned a lot

from that experience. Those who want to defend each and every thing

that happens in the nuclear industry, be in nuclear power, medical or

industrial .. I say, get over it. We're not a perfect industry. We

are not infallible. Don't promote us as if we were.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle