RE: Compensation of survivors

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Simmons, Michael wrote:

> Ruth and others-

> Here is another perspective on the whole compensation issue:

> On June 14, 1957 a chemical explosion involving Pu nitrate occurred at Rocky

	--No one is saying that a worker injured in an occupational

accident should not be taken care of. They are covered by Workman

Compensation, which has been the law of the land for many decades. There

are about 10,000 deaths every year in U.S. from work-related accidents,

and these are normally well compensated, to the best of my knowledge. What

is the point of the story of the worker injured in a Pu explosion 44 years

ago?

	Incidently, there is no reason to believe that prostate cancer is

caused by plutonium in the body. Nearly all the plutonium deposits in the

liver and bone where it is retained for many years - that is the risk from

plutonium.