RE: Compensation of survivors

One thing missing from this discussion is a recognition of the basis for the

compensation program.  Politically, it was the product of an informal coalition

of congressman and senators from districts with DOE facilities, with the initial

impetus coming from the office of the DOE Assistant Secretary for EH&S, David

Michael, who before his appointment to DOE was an anti-nuclear activist.

The "scientific" basis for the program was a report summarizing the results of

dozens of epidemiological studies of DOE workers.  A "piece of trash" review

draft of the report was leaked to Matthew Wald of the NYTimes, who must be one

of the world's most credulous journalists.  Wald's story set off the political

firestorm the led eventually to the compensation program.  A few months after

the leaking of the review draft, the final report was released.  It was better,

but the body of the report put a spin on the results that is not supported by

the detailed data tables in the appendices.  Those data support the conclusion

that DOE workers, on average, are significantly healthier than the general

public, showing a "healthy worker" effect found in many epidemiological studies

of worker populations.

I hasten to add that there were some practices at some AEC/ERDA/DOE and

contractor facilities that I consider completely unacceptable.  I consider a

carefully targeted compensation program to be a reasonable response.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.