Dateline NBC TMI follow up

Hello Again Radsafers:

As the guy who started this thread and after reading all the replies on

this topic, I feel compelled to reply.

I think the bottom-line to all this is that we all basically agree that

mistakes were made at TMI on that fateful day and inadequacies were

revealed in the operation of that plant, (and probably many others), as

a result. But out of all that, new procedures, increased training,

design modifications and regulations were developed to at least limit

the possibilities of a recurrence of a similiar situation.

The part that irritated me and caused me to put the original posting on

this site was the way Dateline presented this program. Irregardless of

the facts, (as Sandy Perle has stated "this is history"), the program

was slanted and "seasoned" so to speak to give it an anti-nuclear

flavor, in my opinion. Emotional testimony was taken out of context in

some cases, (a tactic the media is famous for), and cut and pasted

anywhere when needed to give the segment more "punch".

In the end, however, I would not have had a problem with this show if

they had just put more emphasis on the positive things that have been

done to prevent this type of thing from happening again and played less

on the fear factor to increase their ratings. That is the aggravating

thing about these types of presentations.

The only thing we can do in cases like this, as I know many of you have

already done, is to write to the network involved and voice our

discontent with this type of reporting. Being the optimist I try to be I

feel they will eventually see the light. We can only hope.

Thanks for letting me air my opinions on this!

Jim Bell

Adco Services, Inc.