Dateline NBC TMI story

I agree with much that has been said about the possible underlying reasons for the airing of the programme at this time.
I have taken the opportunity to read the transcript of the programme identified (most helpfully) by others on the radsafe net.
I would if I were living in the US contact the programme makers and ask the following:
1.    What new information was contained in this particular programme?
2.    Why did the programme makers feel that this subject should be revisited at this time?
3.    Do they really feel that this programme is an accurate comment on the nuclear power industry that now exists in the US?

My personal view is that if NBC wished to revisit TMI the best thing that they could do is to produce a programme detailing the impact that TMI has had in the intervening period.  As has already been identified by others, the lessons learned from TMI had far reaching consequences.  Although there are some who feel that some of the post TMI regulations went to far and placed to great a burden on the nuclear industry.  What has been demonstrated is the well run power plants can work within these regulations and can operate safely and economically. I would like to see a programme that reviewed the lessons that have been learnt, how these have been applied and how the potential for this type of accident has been much reduced as a consequence.  I know that as I wondered around the containment building of Sizewell B during the later stages of construction you could find valves and other equipment associated with the pressuriser that had TMI in their plant references.  These items were included in the design as a direct result of the accident at TMI.  Included in the sampling equipment for the reactor coolant was a post accident sampling system, another direct result of TMI.  In much of the emergency training that I have recieved during my carreer there have been many references to the basis for the UK approach for nuclear incidents, again this approach stems directly from many of the lessons learned from TMI.  Just a few personal examples of how I have encountered the lessons learned from TMI.

While I agree with Sandy that we should examine history, I don't believe that this was the intent of the progranmme makers.  While the facts were there, they were selective (emphasising the negative) and they were presented in a sensationalist fashion.  The real purpose behind revisiting history is to learn from it.  Unfortunately I don't feel there was anything to learn from the transcript of this programme (with the possible exception of why remake something that was done previously e.g. at the time of the 20th anniversary).

Having said all of the above, I hold little hope that the media will approach (except on the very rare occasion) the subjects of radiation and nuclear power in an unbiased, non-sensational and factual manner.  It just doesn't make good copy.

Regards
    Julian Ginniver