Re: Dateline NBC TMI story - A different evaluation

Regardless of the facts of the story, let's not forget that during

the entire TMI incident, there was much confusion, inadequate and

misleading communications from all parties concerned (utility, state

and federal agencies), when dealing with the public, bungling by the

NRC engineers and forecasters of what was going on (remember the

hydrogen bubble), the Governor of the state issuing warnings to

pregnant females in the area, etc. Let's also not forget the Lessons

Learned issued in the NUREG.

While the article is geared to play on the fears and emotions of the

listeners, TMI was not an example of our best effort to understand a

problem, to analyze the effects of the problem, and more importantly,

how to communicate with the public about what was happening, what we

expect to happen and when, and what the effects are, and what the

future effects may be.

Before we criticize this article, let's not forget ALL of the facts

first.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle