Historic Preservation of K-25 GDP

Hi RadSafers,

The DOE in Oak Ridge is currently accepting public comment on an EE/CA

for D&D of the K-25 building.  They are proposing only a minimal effort

with respect to historic preservation--basically take lots of pictures,

document the process, put monuments on the corners of the foundation,

maybe place some artifacts in a museum.  Their historic preservation

consultations did not include many of the interested parties in Oak

Ridge, and none of the potentially interested parties nationally or

internationally.

The K-25 Gaseous Diffusion Plant is a Manhattan Project Signature

Facility.  In the opinion of some (myself included), this is a national

historic treasure and also of significance internationally.  We feel

that measures should be taken to preserve some portion of the building

and process equipment in place, but DOE claims there is no money.

Is there significant interest in the nuclear-science community in

preserving this historic site in a manner that lends itself to

interpretative tours?  Are there any national or international

organizations that take an interest in such facilities?  DOE will find

money if the outcry against complete demolition is loud enough, but the

Oak Ridge community just doesn't seem to have the clout to leverage this

alone.

I would really appreciate some feedback on this matter, and I especially

request contacts for organizations that will support a greater degree of

historic preservation for the facility.

Regards,

Susan

By the way, if e-mail bounces (I've been having server problems) you can

also call toll-free at 888-770-3073.

--

Susan L. Gawarecki, Ph.D., Executive Director

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee

                       -----

A schedule of meetings on DOE issues is posted on our Web site

http://www.local-oversight.org/meetings.html - E-mail loc@icx.net