RE: Dateline NBC TMI story - A different evaluation

Mike,

We are dealing with several issues here.  One is the value of the Dateline

show.  Yes, there may have been technical inaccuracies, but I think the

issues of confusion and misstatements are important for people to

understand.  You cannot expect the public to trust you if you try to gloss

over the problems that occurred.  Yes, the experts were wrong.  I believe

that the China Syndrome was an accepted theory by the engineers at the time.

(If I am wrong, I am sure someone will tell me.)  Even so, when new data

proves it was wrong, you cannot say we did not believe in it at the time of

the accident.  That is rewriting history, which always gets you into

trouble.  What we should be emphasizing is that have we learned to do things

better.  The plants have been fixed, people are better trained, and we can

respond to emergencies.

While I sympathize with your having to deal  with the distraught mother, I

am sure that fact that you took the time and effort to allay her fears did

more than any TV show, book, or newspaper article ever could.  In some ways,

many of us are part of the problem.  We are dismissive of the fears that

people have.  The anti-nuclear people are not.  We say people are ignorant

of radiation.  The anti-nuclear people say they are right to fear radiation.

If you had a fear of flying, every accident, whether it is due to human

error, mechanical problem, or the weather, will show that you were right in

the first place.

I agree that voicing sound scientific findings is the only way we will

convince the public that radiation, even if dangerous, can be beneficial.

However, it is and will be a slow process.

One thing I learned a long time ago:  Life is not fair.

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

3050 Traymore Lane