From: Sandy Perle

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Sent: 8/17/01 10:13 AM

Subject: where to wear a dosimeter (Bernie's comments)

> Wearing a radiation badge outside the apron would have shut down

> my research program. I see no reason for wearing a badge there; the

> purpose is to protect the body, so we should measure the exposure to

> the body.

I agree. And, the body is defined in the regulations as the highest

area where the whole body dose is, prior to the current revised

10CFR20.101(a), and, the whole body was defined as "whole body, head

and trunk, active blood forming organs, lens of eye or gonads."

Therefore, if the highest dose was to the head, then the dosimeter is

required to be worn there. Doesn't anyone remember the root cause for

mulitbadging back in the early 80s?  San Onofre .. SG Jumpers NOT

wearing a TLD on the head, to measure the highest dose.

Sandy Perle					Tel:(714) 545-0100 /

(800) 548-5100

Director, Technical				Extension 2306

ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Service		Fax:(714) 668-3149

ICN Pharmaceuticals, Inc.			E-Mail:

sandyfl@earthlink.net

ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue  		E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/scperle

radsafe" (no quote marks) in the body of the e-mail, with no subject

line.