Benchtop Mixed Waste Incinerator Project, Your Support isNeeded

Your support is being asked for the Ortho-McNeil Project XL (see below).  The project is an efficacy trial of a benchtop mixed waste destruction and recovery unit.  The unit is a catalytic incinerator which recovers H-3 and C-14 from mixed hazardous waste.  Ortho-McNeil has had this unit in operation for quite a few years now, and the EPA has put is on the docket for review.  If the EPA's test of the unit verifies Ortho-McNeil's results of mixed waste destruction and radionuclide recovery, there is a caveat in the docket which could lead to an exemption from RCRA regulations for any waste processed with this unit.

Please take the time read the information on the process.  Please take the time to write a letter to the EPA in support of the science of the project and the true spirit of RCRA that this process represents if it is put into use on a wide basis.

Thank you for your support,

Vince Chase

President

New Jersey Health Physics Society

>>> "LaVake, Thomas [PRI]" <TLAVAKE@prius.jnj.com> 08/17 9:46 AM >>>

NJ HPS Members:

Our EPA/Ortho-McNeil Project XL proposal for allowing on-site destruction of

radioactive mixed waste with our bench-top process has been published in the

Federal Register and is now open for comments until August 23rd. At a mixed

waste symposium in Mason, OH, Charlie Howland (EPA) stated that he felt

support letters for the project were very important to our getting the

project approved. Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (LBL) and the International

Isotope Society (IIS) have set up a web page to make relevant information

available for support letters. The website address is

http://home.pacbell.net/pgwillia/ortho/index.html

<http://home.pacbell.net/pgwillia/ortho/index.html>   It has buttons at the

bottom of the page that allows access to the proposal and a sample letter

that supporters can use as a draft letter. Since obtaining regulatory change

on issues involving radioactive materials is extremely difficult, interested

parties should become active now if we are to make any gains.

Please consider forwarding this information to anyone or group who may have

an interest in this important aspect of regulatory change on mixed waste.

If you have any questions with the XL Project, please contact Dr. Larry

Weaner @ 215-628-5604 or Mike Esposito @ 215-628-7920.

Thank you,

Thomas LaVake

Johnson & Johnson- Safety and Industrial Hygiene

Phone: 	908-704-4239

Fax: 	908-707-9211

Pager:	866-350-9687

E-mail: 	tlavake@prius.jnj.com <mailto:tlavake@prius.jnj.com>