Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 4:13 PM
Subject: Cherynobl and groundwater radionuclide transport...

Hello radsafers.....

    From:   jpreisig@aol.com

    It has been interesting to read through about 50 e-mail (radsafe)
messages
each day for the last two days.  August is here and the boss is on vacation.
Web it up, radsafe-wise......

    About truck radiation monitors...  I don't know about portable truck
radiation
monitors, but Brookhaven does have a truck radiation monitoring station for
trucks entering (or exiting???) the laboratory.  Layendecker's HP division
probably has more information about it.

    Concerning melting cores (Cherynobl and TMI), there is an excellent
videotape shot of the internal damage to the Cherynobl reactor.
The core fuel/metal mixture appears to have flowed like molten lava.
H. Kahnhauser (UGH) at Brookhaven probably recalls the source of this
videotape.  Probably US Nuclear plants have sufficient concrete under the
reactor (50 feet +???) to stop the so-called China Syndrome.

    Even if the hot core material would reach the aquifer (not aquifier),
not all
radionuclides would transport well from that point on.  From what I
remember from Presto and other groundwater flow/transport computer
codes, radionuclides which transport at the rate water flows are:
H-3 (i.e. tritium), C-14, Tc-99, I-129 and Np-237.  Other radionuclides are
"retarded" with respect to water flow rates, i.e. they transport much more
slowly
than water.  The physical parameters which describe the relative transport
rates are Kd values or the related parameter R (known as retardation
factors---
a horrible name for something in our line of work).  More details on all this
can be found in the Hydrogeology book by Freeze & Cherry and another
Hydrogeology book by De Marsily.  Fractured (rock) flow changes much of
what I have described in the previous paragraph.

    It is funny to see TMI documentaries resurface, as nuclear power is
staging a comeback.  From what I have read here about coal plant emissions,
I think I'd rather live fairly close to a nuclear power plant.  The problem
with
reprocessing nuclear waste is that no-one in the USA really wants to
do it --- it's one of those tasks best left to others.

    When compared to fission, fusion still wins readily.  The major
radio-nuclide in fusion is tritium, with its relatively innocuous half-life
of 12 years.  Maybe George W. should funnel some of the particle-beam
money to places doing Fusion research, like Princeton U.

    In the meantime, Brookhaven Lab. is running gold collisions at 100
GeV on 100 Gev (collision) energies (that's energy per nucleon or something
like that) at the Relativisitic Heavy Ion Collider (RHIC).  They will also be
running 100 GeV on 100 GeV proton collisions fairly soon.  Not bad for
an accelerator that was dead (ISABELLE) and came back to life
as RHIC.  RHIC is a very viable physics machine.  They claim to be
looking for the quark-gluon plasma, but they could do so much more with this
accelerator.  Let's get to it.  The Large Hadron Collider (CERN) is still five
years off.  Brookhaven could create 5 Nobel Prize winning efforts in those
5 years.

    Well, I've said too much already.  Best wishes to Nisy Ipe in her new job
away from SLAC.

                STAY COOL!!!!!                       J.R. Preisig, Ph.D.

P.S.  RHIC at BNL has its web-page which shows some of its experimental
        results.  The experiments (not small ones) are Phenix, Star, Brahms
        and Phobos (I think).