RE: Cherynobl and groundwater radionuclide transport...

J.R. Preisig wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: JPreisig@AOL.COM [mailto:JPreisig@AOL.COM]
Sent: Friday, August 17, 2001 4:14 PM
To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu
Subject: Cherynobl and groundwater radionuclide transport...

Hello radsafers.....

    From:   jpreisig@aol.com

    <snip>

    When compared to fission, fusion still wins readily.  The major
radio-nuclide in fusion is tritium, with its relatively innocuous half-life
of 12 years.  Maybe George W. should funnel some of the particle-beam
money to places doing Fusion research, like Princeton U.

    <snip>

Well......  When I was a student, there was a bit of folklore to the effect that nothing works better than a paper reactor.

With regard to producing electricity day in day out with Homer Simpson at the controls, fusion is very much a paper reactor.

It has been twenty years away from engineering feasibility for 50 years now.

It has been several years since I looked at the issues in any detail, but I suspect that the inner lining of the plasma containment vessel still would have to be replaced fairly frequently (every 2-4 years?) due to activation of its materials by the 14 Mev neutrons.  It might reasonably be described as part of the "fuel".  Of course, it will also have to be disposed of as high/low/some level of radioactive waste.

I do agree that tritium is about as close to not being a radionuclide as a radionuclide can get.

Someone more current can correct me, if I'm wrong.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
Richland, WA
jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.