RE: Cherynobl and groundwater radionuclide transport...

Greetings again,

    From:  jpreisig@aol.com

    Thanks to Jim Dukelow for his appropriate comments.  I'm all for fission
when it is cold and dark outside (i.e. winter) and I need to get warm.
Curious how fission goes back to 1938 or so (or about 1945 for Fermi's first
reactor), and fusion dates back to about 1950.  Fission has come so far.
Fission was understood and promoted by industry.

    Clearly, the deuterium on tritium reaction makes 14 MeV neutrons.
Great stuff, for a guy like me who sometimes does Bonner Multisphere
Spectrometry of neutrons.  I know of some research, back in the 1970's or so,
to study fusion reactions which might not produce neutrons (i.e.
aneutronic reactions).  Haven't heard much about it lately.

   As for what is going on with fusion lately, I refer Jim Dukelow (and
others)
to the Princeton Plasma Physics Lab. Web pages (PPPL) for recent
information on the NSTX (National Spherical Torous Experiment) fusion
reactor.  The TFTR (an old style Torous) has been shrunken down to a
spherical fusion reactor, which is considerably smaller than the original
TFTR.  PPPL researchers continue to make progress with the NSTX.
Yeah, it has been 50 years or so, and I'm sure fusion reactor designs
for industrial power use are still a few years off.  Oh well.

    Hope all is well at PNL!!!!

                Regards,                           J.R. Preisig, Ph.D.