Re: Risk vs. Perception Study

Title: Re: Risk vs. Perception Study
Do you want this in PDF?

Note that Slovic is DOE's chief fear-monger, since the mid-late '70s. "The first thing you must do in 'risk communication' is to tell them there is risk." He's now on NCRP - imagine such a joke for a supposedly "scientific" body :-(

Regards, Jim

Tosh,

Only for you my friend....  I dug through some VERY dusty/mouldy files and found a copy of "Science" 17 April 1987, Vol. 236 - Pages 233-364, that I had saved because it contained some EXCELLENT articles on "risk".  The "Risk Assessment Issue" starts on Page 267 - Risk Assessment and Comparisons: An Introduction: R. Wilson and E.A.C. Crouch.  Page 271 - Ranking Possible Carcinogenic Hazards: B.N. Ames, R Magaw, L.S. Gold.  Page 280 - Perception of Risk: P. Clovic.  Page 286 - Risk Assessment in Environmental Policy-Making: M. Russell and M Gruber.  Page 291 - Health and Safety Risk Analyses: Information for Better Decisions:" L.B. Lave. Page 296 The Safety Goals of the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission: D. Okrent.

The table which I believe that you're looking for is in the Risk Assessment and Comparisons: An Introduction article.

Hope this helps...

Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
SSC-SD  (The Navy in San Diego)...