RE(2): Dateline NBC TMI story A different evaluation

Emil,

>1.1 The river was/is taken everything out to the

>Dnepr River => Kiev Water Reservoir => Black Sea.

You may well be right, I believe. One or two years ago I was playing with

a customers HPGe detector - 15%, no shielding (actually it was a portable

one). At some point I put a pack of kitchen salt claiming to be K enriched,

stored the spectrum with the 40K peak I had, then put another pack of Bulgarian

salt which claimed nothing (the K enriched was imported). The plain salt

had indeed much less 40K; but it turned out to have also a distinct 137Cs

peak at 661.6 keV... I did not quantitavely determine it, but it was clearly

visible without shielding around the detector... I am almost sure the salt

was of Black Sea origin (I do not remember wether I read it on its package

or did I just believe so, however).

Dimiter