Re: Russian nuclear dumping

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001 21:22:13

 Franz Schoenhofer wrote:

Franz et. al.

There was nothing political in my presentation of the article in ENS to the members of radsafe.  Just dissemination of news "out" there.

Interesting though, it seems that the Russians have made a decision that since the place is already contaminated - a little more will not hurt.

They have relocated people from 6 villages as of 1995. See: http://www.ch70.chel.su/region/sled/map3.html     I wonder if they will relocate people from other villages now that more business is on the horizon.

Maybe someone should contaminate Yucca Mountain and then we would have more reason to put it to good use.

Tom

>Betreff: Russian nuclear dumping

>>Here's an article I came across this morning - Enjoy!

>>Tom Savin

>Franz wrote:

>Did I miss some postings? I do not recall anybody commenting on this

>article. So let me start.

>I am not interested in the political aspects, though I am very well aware,

>that it "might" be in conjunction with the plans of the Russian government

>to import foreign nuclear waste for reprocessing in this region. Let us talk

>about the radiation protection aspects:

>The environmental situation of the region is more than well known and

>notorious. The Techa river and even more some reservoirs are well known to

>be contaminated and it is as well known, that the - in my opinion - worst

>accident ever has occurred in 1957, when tank(s) holding long lived nuclear

>fission products exploded and contaminated a very large area. It is as well

>known, that the river Techa has been severely contaminated and that its

>water has served as drinking water to people living on its shore. The

>contamination of these people with Sr-90 has been evaluated recently

>carefully.

>You wrote "Enjoy". I cannot understand, what one could enjoy by reading or

>investigating these circumstances. Is it to point to the former USSR? Up to

>my knowledge similar situations occurred or occur in the USA.

>Franz

Get 250 color business cards for FREE!