Re: Russian nuclear dumping/ Mayak, plants & animals

I wonder if anyone has information regarding the animal and plant life in

the most contaminated areas. Does the Mayak area look like any area in the

region (say Chelyabinsk oblast) in terms of animals and plant composition -

or as functional ecosystems (earthworms as an example must be very used to

high levels of radon for instance and have some built-in adaption that

evolved over many millions of years)? Wouldn't be surprised if nothing can

be seen visually but how would I know when I haven't been there?

There is according to some source that I don't have available at the moment

also very heavy regional pollution due to traditional industrial pollution

(sulphur, heavy metals etc) from Chelyabinsk. This other pollution may have

caused functional disturbance of the ecosystems.

Bjorn