RE: Compensation of survivors -- bomb test exercises -- uptake of radionuclides

Franz,

You wrote earlier:

It is difficult to find any real numbers. You have some?
<><><><><><><><><><>
Answer:
Many reports on contamination of the Marshall Islands have been published, although most of the ones I have copies of concentrate on radionuclide body burdens & dose commitments - obtained from whole body scans, urine analyses, etc - rather than on RAMs in the soil.

Table 6 of the report BNL 51882 (Lessard et-al, March 1985) gives Cs-137 concentrations in 6 samples taken at Rongelap atoll in Oct. 1977 ("8,633 days post-detonation"), with values ranging roughly from 2.3 to 7.4 pCi/g [ or 85.1 to 273.8 Bq/kg, by my calculation ].
This is something like 200 times more than at Christmas Island, for which Table 2 of the report NRL 1981/9 gives values ranging roughly from 0.4 to 2.4 Bq/kg of Cs-137 in surface soil.

If I didn't know anything else about the two islands, I think it would be a pretty good bet to conclude that the early short-lived RAM fallout was also hundreds of times higher at Rongelap than at Christ. Isl. because, as Andrew McEwan said, "[long-lived] Cs-137 and short-lived fallout nuclides are deposited in roughly fixed ratios."

If I also knew that the Christ. Isl. Cs-137 values are about the same as those from global fallout everywhere else in the world (including their regional variability of course), then I think it would also be a pretty good bet to conclude that any military personnel who attended these bomb test exercises had little or no exposure due to the intake of early short-lived RAM fallout, whereas those present on Rongelap had several hundred times more than the global fallout range. Much more precise figures are available since there was all sorts of monitoring & data gathering during & after the Bravo blast, but that's beside the point. The point is, as Andrew said, that "Cs-137 [levels] on Christmas Island .... were so low (consistent with global fallout for an equatorial region) that it was evident there had been no local fallout enhancement of deposition."
Wouldn't you agree, that one can therefore conclude that compensation claims in such cases are bogus, and claims of RAM contamination phoney ?

Thanks,

Jaro
frantaj@aecl.ca